Noura Hussein: Sentenced to death in Sudan for killing ‘rapist husband’
A court in Sudan has sentenced to death a young woman for killing her husband after he allegedly raped her as his male relatives restrained her.
The judge in Omdurman confirmed the death penalty for Noura Hussein after her husband’s family refused to accept financial compensation.
Human rights groups are calling for her conviction to be overturned.
Ms Hussein, who is now 19, was forced into the marriage at the age of 16 and had tried to run away.
She is said to have wanted to finish her education and train as a teacher.
Her case has attracted widespread attention on social media where a campaign called #JusticeforNoura has been trending on Twitter.
How did the killing come about?
Ms Hussein took refuge at her aunt’s house but three years later she says she was tricked into returning home by her own family who then handed her back to her husband.
After six days she says he recruited some of his cousins who allegedly held her down as he raped her.
When he allegedly attempted to do the same the following day she lashed out at him with a knife and stabbed him to death.
She then ran back to her parents who surrendered her to the police.
The Sharia (Islamic religious law) court convicted Ms Hussein of premeditated murder last month and on Thursday officially sentenced her to death by hanging, according to Reuters news agency. Her lawyers have 15 days to appeal.
“Under Sharia law, the husband’s family can demand either monetary compensation or death,” Badr Eldin Salah, an activist from the Afrika Youth Movement who was in the court told the agency.
“They chose death and now the death penalty has been handed down.”
Read more via: Noura Hussein: Sentenced to death in Sudan for killing ‘rapist husband’
‘It’s just horrifying’: Seven killed in Australia’s deadliest mass shooting in 22 years
An Australian community is reeling from the deadliest mass shooting the country has seen in more than 20 years, after seven people, including four children, were discovered dead on a rural property near Margaret River.
Authorities in Western Australia responded early Friday morning to a home in Osmington, not far from Perth, where the four children and three adults were found dead from gunshot wounds, according to local news reports.
The shooting has rattled Australia, where lawmakers passed some of the world’s most restrictive gun-control laws after a 1996 massacre in Tasmania.
“ ‘Shocking’ is about the only word,” resident Felicity Haynes told 9 News Australia. “I just feel sick to the stomach. That couldn’t happen here.”
Western Australia police commissioner Chris Dawson said at a news conference that officers responded to the scene about 5:15 a.m. and discovered the seven bodies. Two adults were outside, and five other victims were inside the home in Osmington, a small town nestled in Western Australia’s southwest corner.
Read more via: Australia Mass Shooting
Man arrested after break-in at Rihanna’s Hollywood Hills home
Rihanna, who dazzled with her extravagant outfit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Gala in New York earlier this week, is the latest Los Angeles celebrity to fall victim to a home break-in
A 26-year-old man was arrested Thursday morning after he allegedly broke into entertainer Rihanna’s Hollywood Hills home, Los Angeles police said.
Officers responded to a call about a possible burglary in the 7800 block of Hillside Avenue around 10 a.m. Thursday after a man was seen exiting the singer’s home, according to Officer Rosario Herrera, an LAPD spokeswoman.
Article via: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-rihanna-burglary-arrest-20180511-story.html
Teen shot in arm at Highland High School in Palmdale, California; suspect in custody
A 14-year-old boy is in custody on suspicion of shooting a teen in the arm at a Southern California high school Friday morning, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said.
Students barricaded themselves in classroom, mom says
Accused stalker sent man 65,000 texts after one date, police say
PARADISE VALLEY, Ariz. – A woman is accused of breaking into an Arizona home, bathing in the homeowner’s bathtub, and sending tens of thousands of disturbing text messages to the man’s phone after the pair went on one date, according to KNXV.
In July 2017, 31-year-old Jacqueline Ades was found parked outside of the victim’s Paradise Valley home, police said. The man also accused her of repeatedly texting him, despite him saying he no longer wanted to talk to her.
Officers found Ades still outside the victim’s home when they arrived and told her to leave, officials said. Shortly after, the man started to receive threatening text messages from the suspect.
Police received a similar report in December from the same residence, but officers were unable to locate her.
On April 8, the victim called a detective a third time, saying he was out of the country, but saw Ades in his home while checking his home surveillance video.
When officers arrived at the home, the woman was taking a bath, police said.
A large butcher knife was discovered on the passenger’s seat of her car, court paperwork said. She was taken into custody and charged with trespassing.
After Ades was released from jail, she allegedly started sending more threatening text messages to the victim — some of the messages alluded that “harm may come to him,” authorities said.
Less than three weeks later, the victim called authorities to report receiving multiple threatening text messages from her, court documents said. The man also explained that they met on a dating website, and after one date Ades began stalking and harassing him.
Ades allegedly sent about 65,000 text messages to the man’s phone. The victim said that she sent about 500 text messages to him a day, court documents said.
In one of Ades’ messages, she allegedly stated, “…Don’t ever try to leave me…I’ll kill you…I don’t wanna be a murderer.” She also said that she wanted to wear his body parts and bathe in his blood, court paperwork said.
On May 4, police were called to a business in Scottsdale after passersby reported Ades “acting irrationally and claiming to be the owner’s wife,” police said. The owner of the business is the Paradise Valley homeowner.
Ades was arrested on Tuesday on charges of threatening, stalking and harassment.
While being questioned by police, the suspect explained that she sent the man text messages all day but he never responded, court documents said. She said that she threatened him because she was worried he had called police to report her behavior.
The woman is also accused of admitting that she threatened him because she didn’t want him to leave and because she loved him, court paperwork said. She allegedly admitted to knowing her statements were “crazy” and plans to return to Florida once she’s released.
via: http://pix11.com/2018/05/10/accused-stalker-sent-man-65000-texts-after-one-date-police-say/
Mother accused of giving birth at McDonald’s, telling police she ‘found’ newborn baby
NORFOLK, Va. — A Virginia mother is accused of lying to hospital workers about giving birth to a baby at a McDonald’s and claiming she “found” the newborn inside the restaurant, WTKR reports.
Nicole Jones, 23, told medical staff at a hospital she found the baby while eating at McDonald’s, according to court records.
Hospital officials told police the baby had depressed body temperature, was in critical respiratory arrest and his umbilical cord had been cut but not clamped which resulted in significant blood loss.
Jones said she called 911 after she “found” the baby but was told it would be “a while” before an officer could respond so she took the baby to a local hospital.
Police went to Jones’ home and found blood, a medical kit and a one-year-old boy who was crying. During an interview with police, Jones admitted to giving birth to the baby.
Court records indicate Jones used her phone to search “safe home births” and “water births.” She also searched for safe haven options in Virginia.
Jones is being held without bond, according to WTKR.
Fetus found after 2nd NYC woman in days says she disposed of newborn
HARLEM, Manhattan — For the second time in two weeks, a woman in NYC arrived at a hospital seeking medical attention after allegedly giving birth and throwing out the fetus, officials said Friday.
A fetus was found in the trash outside a Harlem home on Amsterdam Avenue between West 131 and West 133 streets after cops were called to a Manhattan hospital Thursday evening, according to police.
A woman, 23, arrived at the hospital after having given birth earlier on Thursday, police said.
The woman allegedly told police the general location of the fetus she had discarded.
It is not yet known if the baby was alive when the woman gave birth, police said.
Friday’s investigation comes two days after a 23-year-old woman arrived at a hospital in Richmond Hill, Queens complaining of severe abdominal pain and trauma, police said.
The woman showed evidence of having given birth, and told officials she delivered a baby on Sunday that was not responsive, so she disposed of it, police said. The fetus was believed to be about 28 weeks along.
It is not clear if investigators ever located the fetus in the earlier incident.
The women in both cases have not yet been charged.
Manager Loudly Reads Store’s Theft Policy to Black Customers, Calls Security When Asked Why
These racists are getting bolder and bolder. I’m from this city and state. And they say we’re a liberal state yeah right! These racist have been in the closet and some have been undercover racist. But they came out ever since Trump has dictated the oval office .
What happens when a white woman is bothered by the presence of black people? The obvious answer to this question is, of course, she asks to speak to “the manager.”
White women always need to speak to the manager. The main reason God sacrificed his only begotten son was that the archangels who answered prayers were tired of people asking to speak to the manager.
I’m pretty sure that’s in the Bible.
Recently, rwo black shoppers patronizing a Washington-state clothing store discovered what happens when a white woman is disgusted by the presence of Negroes who have the audacity to try to spend money at a place of business. But what happens if the disgusted white woman is also the manager?
She calls security, of course.
According to a Facebook post, Simone Gamble and a friend were shopping at Fuego, a Tacoma, Wash., clothing store, when one of them stepped inside a dressing room at the business. To Gamble’s surprise, they heard the store manager loudly reading the store’s theft policies……
https://www.facebook.com/lesroxy/posts/10155216606717163
READ MORE———> https://www.theroot.com/manager-loudly-reads-stores-theft-policy-to-black-custo-1825938660
This Is the Remix to Eviction: R Kelly’s Playlist removed from Spotify
As of Thursday, Spotify listeners will no longer be able to bump—or accidentally bump into—any R. Kelly tracks on the site’s playlists. The move is made possible by a new policy regarding public hate content and hateful conduct, which gives the company the right to choose not to promote artists it feels have caused harm.
To be clear: R. Kelly’s music can still be found on the streaming service if one searches for it. But Spotify will no longer actively promote his music—banning R. Kelly’s catalog from all of Spotify’s editorial and algorithmic playlists. The news was first reported by Billboard.
According to the new policy, Spotify emphasizes that it won’t censor content from an artist or creator because of their behavior. But, the company writes, “we want our editorial decisions—what we choose to program—to reflect our values.”
“When an artist or creator does something that is especially harmful or hateful (for example, violence against children and sexual violence), it may affect the ways we work with or support that artist or creator,” the policy states.
For more than 20 years, R. Kelly has been hit with allegations that he has targeted and had sexual relationships with underage women. Recently, multiple women have come forward to say that Kelly is running a sex cult; he’s also been accused of sexual violence and coercion by multiple women.
Recently, the Time’s Up initiative launched a #MuteRKelly campaign, outlining his alleged abuses and calling on Apple and Spotify to quit supporting the artist. The campaign was first announced on The Root.
READ MORE FROM THE ROOT——–>https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/this-is-the-remix-to-eviction-r-kellys-music-booted-f-1825929540
ASK YOUR BABY’S PERMISSION BEFORE CHANGING DIAPER, SAYS SEXUAL CONSENT EXPERT
A sex education expert has sparked a debate on sexual consent, after she argued that parents should ask children for permission before changing their diapers.
Deanne Carson, who works for an organization which teaches children about consent, appeared on Australia’s ABC news network to comment on Saxon Mullins, whose rape case sparked a national debate on sexual consent laws. Carson argued that parents should teach their children about consent as early as possible.
“We work with parents from birth…Just about how to set up a culture of consent in their homes. ‘I’m going to change your nappy now, is that OK?’ Of course a baby’s not going to respond ‘yes mum, that’s awesome I’d love to have my nappy changed’.
“But if you leave a space and wait for body language and wait to make eye contact then you’re letting that child know that their response matters,” she said.
Carson, who describes herself as a sexuality educator, speaker and author on her Twitter profile, works with Body Safety Australia. The organization works to prevent child abuse and educates children from kindergarten through high school age about consent and respecting boundaries.
“In empowering children with their rights’ while educating families and professionals, the burden of responsibility is placed squarely on adults to protect children,” the organization’s website states.
The segment was later discussed on Australian news channel Sky News, where Rowan Dean, editor of The Spectator Australia, magazine dubbed the suggestion “lefty lunacy.”
Following the interview, Carson hit back at critics on Facebook.
“Sadly, some people have chosen to ridicule me (oh no! Pink hair! Must be a lesbian!) and the notion of giving infants bodily autonomy (poo in nappies har har amiright?!) [sic],” she wrote.
Carson quoted statistics reflecting how common sexual abuse is among children, and said the work her organization does follows international best practice in abuse prevention.
“It teaches children their rights AND their responsibilities and connects them with people who care and can help. It invites their parents into the discussion and is sensitive to cultural and family values,” she said.
Katie Russell, a spokesperson for the non-profit sexual violence organization Rape Crisis England and Wales, told Newsweek that Carson’s overall message had been misunderstood. Carson didn’t appear to be suggesting that diaper-changing is a sexual act, or that a baby is capable of communicating their consent, said Russell.
“She’s simply making the very reasonable case for establishing a ‘culture of consent’ in households and with children from the youngest possible age,” she said. “This is about both getting parents and carers into positive habits of not assuming consent from their children and about teaching children that they have a right to decide what happens to their bodies.”
Russell added, “When we know child sexual abuse is so widespread, it’s hard to understand why simple, respectful practices like this, aimed at reducing and preventing future harm to children, would be so ridiculed.”
Article via: http://www.newsweek.com/diaper-ask-baby-permission-changing-says-sexual-consent-expert-918981