News & Info
Student in pancake-eating contest died of asphyxia
The New Jersey college student who fatally choked during a pancake-eating contest died of asphyxia, the New York City chief medical examiner’s office ruled.
Caitlin Nelson, the 20-year-old daughter of a Port Authority cop who lost his life on 9/11, was participating in the charity contest at her school, Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, Conn., on March 30 when she choked after eating several pancakes and collapsed.
She was rushed to a local hospital in critical condition, and was transferred to Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital in Manhattan, where she died Sunday. The medical examiner’s office said the official cause of death was “asyphyxia due to obstruction of airway by bolus of food.”
Nelson was a junior at Sacred Heart, where she majored in social work and served as the vice president of community service at the school’s Kappa Delta sorority.
Her dad, James Nelson, died while evacuating people from one of the World Trade Center towers on Sept. 11, 2001.
“Like her father, right up until the end she was giving of herself, and proof of that is her organs are all being donated,” Robert Egbert, a spokesman for the Port Authority Police Benevolent Association, told The Post earlier this week.